To teach the safe operation of MEWP equipment, to ensure the safety of the operator, the safety of other persons nearby, the safety of the MEWP, safety of nearby property, and safety of the environment.
RTITB Mobile Elevated Work Platform Operator Course (Conversion)
1. Perform all pre-operating checks and safety checks.
2. Understand the safe lifting-capacity, travel, and center of gravity limitations of a MEWP.
3. Safely travel the MEWP, and lift and lower the platform/basket from/to any location.
- Operating principles, operator controls, and mechanical daily checks.
- Reading the lifting capacity of the MEWP, and understanding overload situations.
- Understand the effects of stability and Center of Gravity, and how to correctly deploy outriggers/stabilisers (if applicable)
- Safety procedures for lifting and lowering the platform, and travelling from/to any location.
- Working at Height safety, and use of PFAS (Personal Fall Arrest Systems)
Emergencies – what to do in emergency situations, e.g. overturn, fire, collisions, etc
twelve (12) hours
English, Arabic or Hindi
Mobile Elevated Work Platform Operator Conversion
Any personnel with previous experience of Mechanical Handling Equipment operation, who have never operated MEWP equipment, or who are operating a new type of MEWP equipment for the first time
PPE (Coveralls and Safety Boots), or as required by client if training on client’s site
Candidate must be physically fit to operate MEWP equipment, and must not be afraid of heights
For practical training, MEWP and Safety Harnesses to be supplied by client, if training on clients site
For the conversion course, a candidate’s previous MHE experience must be supplied. This must be a qualification from the ABA (Accrediting Bodies Association). These are RTITB, NPORS, ITSSAR and AITT. IPAF is also acceptable in this case.
Candidates who do not hold such a qualification, or who have one that has expired, must attend the Novice Operator course